2 January 2012

Week One: Potsticker Dumplings

(Fed 4)
I was looking around the internet for cheapish meals and found this wonderful recipe for traditional Chinese dumplings called 'potstickers'. They didn't stick to my pot, thankfully, as I'm not the world's biggest fan of washing up. Anyway, I won't retype the recipe for the dumplings as it's done so beautifully on the blog of userealbutter and I don't want to claim any credit for it.
However, I will tell you that the quantity of filling that I made (half of the pork mix) filled my dumplings adequately and left enough for a rather nice burger a day or two later. Also, make sure that you make your wrappers thin enough - my first few ended up a bit doughy.
Be warned: the ginger flavour is quite strong.

I added a stirfry to mine, and although the vegetables used weren't exactly the cheapest and I did use a packet sauce when a homemade one would have been less than half the price, the overall cost was only £1.28 per person.



For the stirfry, I used broccoli, asparagus, red pepper and onion, as well as any leftovers from making the dumpling filling. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large, round bottomed pan (like a wok), then add the vegetables that are going to take the longest to cook - the onions and broccoli for me and fry until just changing colour. Then add the more delicate vegetables (asparagus and red pepper) and cook until nearly done. Add any sauce that you're planning on using then, just before serving and once the pan is off the heat, add things like spinach and put the lid on. Serve!
Just keep chopping... chopping...chopping

Chopped stuff

Lovely (if rather gingery!)

Alright, I know I didn't pleat them properly...

The finished article

No comments:

Post a Comment